Monday, November 5, 2007

DCC: You Go, Girls!


Brains and beauty? Is this an oxymoron for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders?

I used to think so. And I was wrong. I’ll wear it.

I was ignorant. I thought that the objectification of women was further promoted by the DCC. I thought they were all brainless, blond bimbos shakin’ what their mommas gave ‘em in skimpy outfits in front of sold-out crowds. Again, I was ignorant. And wrong.

What caused my vast change in opinion? Ironically, it was the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making The Team show on CMT. I was flipping through the channels one day, and I saw the show listing. I laughed to myself, thinking what a pathetic program this would be. And then, for some unknown reason, I watched the show. And I was hooked. I kept watching all season, anxious to see which girls made the final cut.

The concept of the show is brilliant. Automatically, it will pull a large male audience who loves to see the women run around in their tight workout outfits. But, in addition, it humanizes the cheerleaders. After seeing the show, I realized that the women are dedicated athletes who have years of dance training. The tryouts are nothing short of boot camp, and they’re expected to be in peak physical condition at all times. I certainly couldn’t survive it.

The DCC were born out of an idea to bring greater entertainment to the sidelines of Texas Stadium. After watching their television show, I’m a DCC fan. Ironically, I look forward to seeing Cowboys games on television, and I’m excited to see camera shots of the DCC in hopes of recognizing my favorites from the show.

What a great PR move: turning the DCC tryout process into a reality television show. They entertained some male fans, and they changed some female minds along the way.

Thanks, DCC. Go, Cowboys!

No comments: